What is the Foursquare Gospel?
THE BIG IDEA: God is calling us back to square one: rediscovering the mission of Jesus the Saviour, who came to seek and save the lost. This is our mission!
There are many different denominations in the Christian church – from Baptist and Pentecostal churches, to Lutheran and Charismatic churches. The church I pastor is a Foursquare Gospel Church. You’ll notice that in our logo there are four different squares, each containing a colour and a symbol representing a different aspect of the ministry of Jesus:
- Jesus is the Saviour: The red cross reminds us of His bloodshed for our salvation and the cross symbolizes the pathway of His redemption of us. We all come to Jesus through receiving His love, by grace we are saved.
- Jesus is the Healer: The blue cup reminds us of the life-giving water that nourishes our soul, cleans us up from the mess of life and heals our hurts and the cup symbolizes our life that holds His healing.
- Jesus is the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit: The yellow dove reminds us of the worth and dignity He restores to us as we receive the precious Holy Spirit in these fragile lives of ours and the dove symbolizes His coming from heaven to us.
- Jesus is the Soon Coming King: The royal purple crown reminds us of the kingdom of God that is to be spread throughout the earth. The crown symbolizes Jesus is the King of Kings and one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. (www.foursquare.ca).
The title of this booklet (borrowed from our most recent Canadian Foursquare Pastor’s Convention) is a call to return to and focus on Square One: Jesus is the Saviour. Salvation. Evangelism. First things first. Jesus came into the world and died on the Cross to forgive our sins. That’s the most important aspect we want to focus on!
Our church’s mission statement also reflects this priority: We exist:
- to REACH people with the love of God (evangelism)
- to CONNECT them in loving relationships with other Christians (fellowship)
- to help them to GROW in their faith through God’s Word (discipleship)
- to challenge them to DISCOVER their gifts (ministry)
- and to GLORIFY God with their lives (worship)
I believe that evangelism – reaching people with the love of God – is the one area we need to work on and improve upon in our church. This is our mission – let’s get busy doing it!
Pastor Chris Jordan