The Holy Spirit #5 – His Gifts:
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant.” (1 Cor. 12:1).
The Apostle Paul made a very important statement to the church at Corinth. He told them that he didn’t want them to be ignorant about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. There are so many Christians who don’t know about the wonderful spiritual gifts that God has given to His church. One of the reasons for this is because there are many denominations that teach that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are not for the church today. “That was just for the early New Testament church. We don’t need them anymore.” What? We don’t need them anymore? If the early church – the disciples of Jesus who walked and talked with Him while He was on the Earth in the flesh – needed the gifts of the Holy Spirit, then how much more do we? The Bible says, “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all.” (1 Corinthians 12:7). The purpose of the Holy Spirit’s gifts is to profit the church. Therefore, I think it would be of benefit to look at these nine gifts that God has given to His church.
“For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.” (1 Corinthians 12:8-10).
1. DISCERNING – GIFTS OF REVELATION
- WORD OF WISDOM – A spiritual utterance disclosing the mind, purpose and way of God as applied to a specific situation
- WORD OF KNOWLEDGE – A supernatural revelation of information pertaining to a person or an event, given for a specific purpose, usually dealing with an immediate need
- DISCERNING OF SPIRITS – The ability to discern the spirit world – whether something is: divine (from God or angels), human (of natural origin) or demonic (from Satan or demons)
2. DYNAMIC – GIFTS OF POWER
- FAITH – A unique form of faith (not the faith that saves you) that supernaturally trusts and does not doubt with reference to the specific matters – to believe God for the impossible
- GIFTS OF HEALINGS – Those healings that God performs supernaturally – accelerated mending – something that would have taken time to heal, God does instantaneously – i.e. a broken arm, etc.
- WORKING OF MIRACLES – Manifestation of power beyond the ordinary course of natural law – something that could never have been done naturally – i.e. a limb growing back, etc.
3. DECLARATIVE (VOCAL) – GIFTS OF SPEAKING
- PROPHECY – A divine revealing of the spirit to encourage, exhort or comfort someone
- DIFFERENT KINDS OF TONGUES – The gift of speaking supernaturally in a language not known to the individual (not to be confused with the praying in tongues in Romans 8 – prayer language)
- INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES – Bringing to light what is otherwise hidden – giving the sense / understanding of tongues
“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.” (1 Corinthians 14:1). God has commanded that we must desire – seek after – the gifts of the Holy Spirit. First Peter 4:10 says, “God has given gifts to each of you from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God’s generosity can flow through you.” When we learn how to flow in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, we will be able to minister God’s grace and love to others.
Pastor Chris Jordan