Take a Good Hard Look at Jesus:
“And so, dear brothers and sisters who belong to God and are bound for heaven, take a good hard look at Jesus whom we declare to be God’s Messenger and High Priest.” (Hebrews 3:1, The Message Bible).
There was one day when my children were younger when I had taken them to the park to play, and I took along my Bible to do some reading. I started reading through the book of Hebrews, and the above verse in Hebrews Chapter Three really stood out to me. Take a good hard look at Jesus. In other words, stop and think about Jesus – think about who He is and what He’s done for you. After I read that verse, I went back to the beginning of the book of Hebrews, and started taking notes on all the things that this book of the Bible teaches us about God’s Son. Today, I’d like to simply share with you some of the things I learned about Jesus from the first two chapters of the book of Hebrews. This is not an action-response type devotional, challenging you to respond to God’s love by doing certain things. What I want to do is encourage you with some truths I learned about our wonderful loving Saviour.
20 THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT JESUS FROM HEBREWS 1-2:
- 1. Jesus reflects God’s own glory (1:3)
- 2. Jesus represents God exactly – when we see Jesus, we see the Father (1:3)
- 3. Jesus sustains the universe by His mighty power (1:3)
- 4. Jesus died to cleanse us from the stain of sin – so we could be forgiven (1:3)
- 5. Jesus is now seated at God’s right hand in Heaven (1:3)
- (note: look at all the things we learn about Jesus just from that one verse!)
- 6. Jesus, as God’s Son, is far greater than angels (1:4)
- 7. Jesus is worshipped by angels (1:6)
- 8. Jesus, as God, His throne endures forever (1:8)
- 9. Jesus’ royal power is expressed in righteousness (1:8)
- 10. Jesus tasted death for everyone in the world – thank God for that. (2:9)
- 11. Jesus is our Big Brother – we have the same Heavenly Father. (2:11)
- 12. Jesus was born in human form (2:14)
- 13. Jesus was born in human form so He could die (2:14)
- 14. Jesus, through His death, broke the power of Satan, who had the power of death (2:14)
- 15. Jesus, in this way, delivered us – He died so that we could live. (2:15)
- 16. Jesus was made like us in every respect (2:17)
- 17. Jesus, because He was made like us, is a merciful and faithful High Priest (2:17)
- 18. Jesus offered a sacrifice to take away our sins (2:17)
- 19. Jesus has gone through suffering and temptation – though He never sinned (2:18)
- 20. Jesus, because He suffered temptation, can help us when we are tempted (2:18)
“That is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it.” (Hebrews 4:14-16).
Take a good hard look at Jesus. Take the time to meditate on and think about who He is and what He’s done for you today.
Pastor Chris Jordan