Sweet Fellowship (Who‘s Got YOUR Back?):
“We have fellowship with each other.” (1 John 1:7).
What is fellowship? The official dictionary definition is: “The condition of sharing similar interests, ideals, or experiences, as by reason of profession, religion, or nationality. The companionship of individuals in a friendly atmosphere and on equal terms. A close association of friends.” I heard someone describe it once as “A bunch of fellows in the same ship.” I like that definition. As Christians, the Bible says that we have fellowship with each other. We share similar interests – our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ – and we are companions, closely associated friends. We are a bunch of fellows in the same ship – and that kind of fellowship is sweet.
If you have ever read through the New Testament, you will find that it is full of words of encouragement of how we are to treat ONE ANOTHER as brothers and sisters in the Lord. We are family! Here’s just a sampling…
- LOVE one another – John 13:34
- BE KINDLY AFFECTIONATE TO one another – Romans 12:10
- RECEIVE (WELCOME / ACCEPT) one another – Romans 15:7
- CARE EQUALLY FOR one another – 1 Cor. 12:25
- BY LOVE SERVE one another – Galatians 5:13
- BEAR THE BURDENS OF one another – Galatians 6:2
- FORGIVE one another – Ephesians 4:32
- COMFORT…WITH GOD’S WORD one another – 1 Thess 4:18
- ENCOURAGE…DAILY one another – Hebrews 3:13
- CONFESS YOUR SINS TO one another – James 5:16
- PRAY FOR one another – James 5:16
- HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH one another – 1 John 1:7
As Christians, God has called us to live in fellowship with one another, to fulfill what Ecclesiastes 4:9-10,12 says: “Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up…Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
The New Living Translation of verse 12 in that passage really paints a beautiful picture of fellowship: “A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Fellowship in Jesus is sweet. Who’s got YOUR back?
Pastor Chris Jordan