How God Anointed Jesus:
(I thought this topic would be fitting for today’s devotional as I just sent off 13 people from our church on their mission trip to Costa Rica this morning… If you want to follow their mission exploits, visit my New Life Blog HERE).
“how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
I think there is a lesson here for us. Let us consider two things today. First of all, how DID God anoint Jesus? And secondly, how does God want to anoint US?
HOW GOD ANOINTED JESUS:
- Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit and with POWER.
- Jesus went about DOING GOOD.
- Jesus went about HEALING all who were oppressed of the devil.
- God was with Jesus.
Describing Himself, Jesus said, “The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.” (Matthew 11:5). “Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.” (Matthew 4:24). No wonder the Bible says, “Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious.” (1 Peter 2:7). If you don’t know Jesus today, won’t you call upon His name and believe in Him? He is Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6).
My prayer is that with these simple thoughts I would stir up within your heart a desire to know Jesus yourself – to become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him. Is He your Lord, your Saviour, your Best Friend, your All in All? He’s so precious to me.
Having considered how God anointed Jesus, I want you to think about this following Scripture here: “For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:” (1 Peter 2:21). To be a Christian is to be like Christ. To be like Jesus. How can we do that?
HOW GOD WANTS TO ANOINT US:
- God wants to anoint YOU with the Holy Spirit and with POWER.
- Acts 1:8 says, “But YOU shall receive POWER when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.”
- God wants you to go about DOING GOOD.
- Galatians 6:10 says, “Whenever we have the opportunity, WE should DO GOOD to everyone, especially to our Christian brothers and sisters.”
- God wants you to go about HEALING all who are oppressed of the devil.
- Mark 16:15-18 says, “And (Jesus) said to them, “(YOU) Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature…And these signs will follow those who believe…they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
- God will be with you.
- Matthew 28:19-20 says, “(YOU) Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations…teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
When Jesus walked the Earth 2000 years ago, He was anointed by God the Father with the power of the Holy Spirit to do good and heal the sick. Today, Jesus has commissioned and anointed us as His disciples with the power of the Holy Spirit to do good and lay hands on the sick, and see them recover. If you want the same anointing that was on Jesus to be upon you, then ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit right now. Jesus said, “how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.” (Luke 11:13). Then once you’ve got that anointing, GO! And take the Good News about Jesus to your world.
Pastor Chris Jordan