FEED ON THE WORD:
“But Jesus answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4).
“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17).
Do you ever feel like there’s something missing in your spiritual walk? That you just don’t seem to be growing or changing at all? If that’s the case, then today’s devotional will be very important for you. As Christians, we need to learn to feed on God’s Word. But why? Why should we read our Bibles? The above two Scripture verses give us two very good reasons.
1. God’s Word is Spiritual Food.
Just like physical food strengthens and nourishes our bodies, spiritual food – God’s Word – strengthens and nourishes our spirits. Most of us will eat three square meals a day, not to mention plenty of snacks in between, (including that hot plate of nachos and salsa at the end of the day!). Although we don’t neglect feeding our physical bodies, we often fail to feed our spirits. We think it’s good enough to go to church on Sunday and get fed then, but how many of us would be content to feed our physical bodies only one small snack once a week? Come on!
2. Hearing God’s Word Develops Our Faith.
Faith is a spiritual muscle that can grow and be strengthened. Romans 4:20-21 says of Abraham that, “He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.” Sometimes we doubt and question the promises of God because our faith is weak, and we don’t believe what God promised, He will also perform. If we want more faith, we need to get into God’s Word more. We need to feed on the Word. The more we learn about God from reading the Bible, the more faith we’ll have – the more we’ll trust Him.
Reading the Bible – feeding on God’s word – nourishes our spirits, and strengthens our faith. Let me give you a few more of the benefits to reading your Bible, with the prayer that you’ll be encouraged to start a lifelong journey of feeding on the Word – every day.
12 BENEFITS TO READING THE BIBLE:
- CAUSES SPIRITUAL GROWTH (1 Peter 2:2)
- CAUSES SPIRITUAL EFFECTIVENESS (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- MAKES YOU PROSPEROUS & GIVE YOU GOOD SUCCESS (Joshua 1:8)
- HELPS YOU TO WALK IN PURITY (Psalm 119:9)
- GUARDS YOUR HEART AGAINST SIN (Psalm 119:11)
- REVIVES YOU (Psalm 119:25)
- STRENGTHENS YOU (Psalm 119:28)
- GIVES YOU WISDOM (Psalm 119:99)
- GIVES YOU LIGHT – DIRECTION FOR YOUR LIFE (Psalm 119:105)
- GIVES YOU JOY (John 15:11)
- GIVES YOU PEACE (John 16:33a)
- GIVES YOU ASSURANCE OF SALVATION (1 John 5:13)
Pastor Chris Jordan