Have YOU Found What You’re Looking For?
When I was in high school back in the late 80’s (no jokes about how old I am, please!), U2 released their single “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” The singer talks about searching for meaning in life, and not finding it:
- In Nature: I have climbed highest mountain, I have run through the fields
- In City Life: I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls
- In Relationships: I have kissed honey lips, Felt the healing in her fingertips
- In Religious Experiences: I have spoke with the tongue of angels, I have held the hand of a devil
- I believe in the kingdom come, Then all the colors will bleed into one
- You broke the bonds and you, Loosed the chains;
- Carried the cross, Of my shame, Of my shame, You know I believed it
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…
In addition to being one of U2’s most popular songs, this catchy little number is an apt description of the heart cry of many people in the world today. Have YOU found what you’re looking for? Or a better question – do you even know WHAT you’re looking for?
There’s something in the heart of every human being that’s longing for… something. What it is, we may not know. Some call it the pursuit of happiness. Others say they’re looking for the meaning of life. But deep within the heart of every one of us is a sense that we were meant for more than the daily grind that often becomes the sum total of our existence.
Two thousand years ago, there was a Samaritan woman who was on such a quest. This woman who had been married and divorced five times was now living with another man, and yet she had failed to find any meaningful fulfillment or satisfaction in her relationships. As she sat down at the well one day, little did she know that the Person she was about to enter into a dialogue with would radically transform her entire life. This one day, when she met Jesus, that inner thirst for more was finally satisfied. Come to Jesus today, and find what you’re really looking for!
If you want to see a live performance of U2’s song, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1XXs7e7ac.
– Pastor Chris Jordan